Monday, August 06, 2018

Italy 2015 - Rome Day Two - Trevi Fountain and Castel Sant'Angelo

Rome Day Two - Trevi Fountain and Castel Sant' Angelo


Dad and Maria had entrusted the navigation to me. Our official destination was another museum but I had some things I wanted to see along the way that they didn't really care about. Well, as the navigator it was up to me and we were going to see these sights whether they liked it or not! Hahaha



What could possibly be at the end of this street I wonder? Oh look Dad! We just happened by chance to stumble upon the Trevi Fountain! ;)

Sadly it was under refurbishment so the water was drained and there was a bunch of scaffolding but a trip to Rome is not complete without a visit to the Trevi!

Trevi Fountain

Trevi Fountain


Trevi Fountain


After the Trevi Fountain I led them through the city and we stopped once and awhile to admire the city. I had Dad pose next to this impossibly tiny car. 











We stopped for gelato during our wanderings. When in Rome one must eat gelato!


We ended up at the Tiber River for our next "coincidental" stop, Castel Sant'Angelo originally known as the Mausoleum of Hadrian before it was repurposed by the Catholic church. I knew I wouldn't be able to get them to agree to go inside but I wanted to see the building and the famous bridge. 
Castel Sant'Angelo
Castel Sant'Angelo
Castel Sant'Angelo

We did not cross the Ponte Sant'Angelo, instead we walked south and crossed the Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II. This bridge is commonly used to access The Vatican but we would not be going there on this trip as we have all visited in the past. 

Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II
Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II
Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II

This was the closest that we got to the Vatican on this trip. I will probably make a return visit next time I am in Rome. 

The Vatican


This is the Passetto di Borgo which is a walkway that connects Castel Sant'Angelo to the Vatican. 
Passetto di Borgo

From here we walked back over to Castel Sant' Angelo and walked around the exterior. There is a pretty park surrounding the back of it with a playground for children. This became a joke as Maria told us that Italy did not have park areas for children to play so every time I saw one I had to point it out "oh look, a children's playground!". She said things must have changed since she lived there...


Castel Sant'Angelo

Castel Sant'Angelo

Castel Sant'Angelo
Pretty buildings surrounding the Castel Sant'Angelo. 

 Wonder what the rent is to live in one of those apartments behind the Castel?

We crossed the Tiber again at the bridge in front of the Supreme Court.


Supreme Court


Back on the correct side of the Tiber would I finally lead my Dad to the museum he wanted to visit or would there be more "coincidental" stops?















No comments:

Post a Comment