Monday, August 06, 2018

Italy 2015 - Lake Como

Italy 2015 - Lake Como

We woke up bright and early and enjoyed one last breakfast at the Crosti Hotel before we made our way to Termini to catch our train to Milan. We were taking the Frecciarossa from Rome to Milan which is the high-speed train run by Trenitalia. You need to have a reservation to ride the Frecciarossa and you have assigned seats.

The Frecciarossa is a very comfortable experience and would be my preferred mode of train travel in Italy if it is an option. Seats are in groups of four. Dad and I were sitting next to each other and Maria was across from us. In the fourth seat was a priest. That poor priest. As soon as Maria found out his profession she would not stop talking to him about all her life worries - mostly around her daughter. She talked THE WHOLE WAY to Milan. I tried to interrupt to save the priest by suggesting we go to get a snack from the dining car but she declined. Dad said nothing and pretended to be asleep the whole way. I have never known somebody who can talk as much as Maria does. I am sure it was a relief for the priest when we arrived in Milan and he could make his escape. Hahaha.

Our hotel was right across the street from the train station. We were spending the night at Michelangelo Hotel. It was a convenient location as we didn't need to travel far with our suitcases and it included a complimentary breakfast which is always a plus. 

Once we were checked in we had to wait for Maria's cousin to arrive. The purpose of our time in Milan was for Maria to visit with some of her family. She had an aunt and a host of cousins and nieces and nephews that lived in the area. 

Originally I had been planning to spend time solo in Milan while she visited with her family but I was convinced not to as I was told that her cousin, Giovanni, was going to drive us up to Bellagio as Maria had told him I wanted to visit Lake Como.

There had been a miscommunication about what time we would arrive so they were late picking us up from the hotel. Once they arrived we made our way to an apartment building in which Maria's aunt had an apartment as well as one of her cousins. These family members spoke no English and I have very little Italian so I mostly communicated with them by hand gesture and facial expression. They gave me a tour of their apartments which seems to be the custom when entertaining guests in Italy and then at a loss of how to communicate with me they picked up their small dog "Max" and shoved him at me to hold. lol. They were all very friendly despite the language barrier. 

Soon we were on the road again and we had to make a short stop at Giovanni's house to pick up his wife and then we were off to Lake Como. 

Giovanni had a surprise for us and we were not going directly to Bellagio. Instead we were stopping in Lecco which is another town located on Lake Como. He was going to take us up into the mountains. 


Maria and Giovanni's wife didn't want to ride up in the gondola as Maria was afraid so they stayed behind at a cafe while we rode up. 

No wine on the gondola! 
Looking down at Lecco and Lake Como
 This was a surprise and I had not dressed for going up into the snowy mountains. I had on a dress and flats. I am sure I looked a little odd in my spring dress up in the snow. lol. I was also a wee bit cold. 

The mountains of Lecco



The mountains of Lecco



The mountains of Lecco



Dad and Giovanni taking in the view. The mountains of Lecco

The mountains of Lecco



Dad at the mountains of Lecco

It was beautiful up there and a nice surprise. Something I would never have thought to do. While up there Giovanni ran into a group of friends, what are the odds? They were celebrating a birthday I believe? Anyways, they pulled us into the building in which they were celebrating and sat us down and plied us with cake and wine. Some of them spoke a bit of English so we were able to have a conversation. This experience is one of my favourite memories from the trip. Everybody was so friendly and it was neat getting to spend time as a local. At one point they broke out into song and I recorded a bit to capture the memory. I believe they were singing some kind of celebratory song. It was so much fun!


Once we were down off the mountain we continued our journey to Bellagio. It was a beautiful drive along the lake and I would love to go back and spend more time in the region. As it was I was happy to have my few hours there as it was more than I had expected. 

Lecco - Lake Como



Lecco - Lake Como



Lecco - Lake Como



Lecco - Lake Como


Lake Como



Lake Como





Lake Como




Lake Como and Bellagio in the distance







We arrived in Bellagio in the evening. The villa I had heard about had just closed so we walked around the town and explored the streets and shops. It was so beautiful and charming!
Bellagio


Bellagio


Bellagio



Bellagio



Bellagio


Bellagio



Bellagio


Bellagio


Bellagio


Bellagio



Bellagio



Bellagio


Bellagio



Bellagio


Bellagio


Bellagio



Bellagio - Lake Como
After Bellagio we made our way back towards Milan where we meet up with more of Maria's family for a big dinner. The restaurant was very good and everybody ordered so much food! We stayed until the late hours as Maria was enjoying herself visiting with her family. I was fading fast but this night was about Maria and her family so I just had to try and stay awake and be polite. 


I was very grateful when we got back to the hotel though so I could drop into bed and fall asleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment