Monday, August 06, 2018

Italy 2015 - Rome Day Two - National Etruscan Museum

Rome Day Two - National Etruscan Museum

We exited Piazza Del Popolo and continued to make our way north to the National Etruscan Museum located at the Villa Giulia. We were lucky and we arrived about an hour before it was due to close so we were admitted. We received a discounted admission with our Roma Pass.

Villa Giulia - National Etruscan Museum
I was immediately charmed yet again with this museum simply based on the building in which the collection was housed. It was so beautiful.

Villa Giulia

Villa Giulia





Villa Giulia


Villa Giulia

Villa Giulia


Villa Giulia


Villa Giulia
Villa Giulia - National Etruscan Museum


I studied Classical History at university and I loved seeing in person these artefacts that I had previously learned about and seen in my textbooks. 



Apollo of Veii - National Etruscan Museum - Rome


Sarcophagus of the Spouses - National Etruscan Museum - Rome


National Etruscan Museum - Rome
National Etruscan Museum - Rome

National Etruscan Museum Rome

When we exited back into the courtyard of the museum everything was alight with a lovely glow from the sunset. Simply beautiful.

Villa Giulia - National Etruscan Museum - Rome



Villa Giulia - National Etruscan Museum - Rome
Villa Giulia - National Etruscan Museum - Rome


Villa Giulia - National Etruscan Museum - Rome
Villa Giulia - National Etruscan Museum - Rome
Villa Giulia - National Etruscan Museum - Rome
 I was thirsty so before we left the museum we stopped and I bought what I thought was still bottled water, turned out it was carbonated, bleh. I do not understand why people enjoy carbonated water.

My dad had an idea on how to get back so instead of returning the way we had come so we started up this road leading east. Well, we ended up in the park my dad wanted to walk through but it is a huge park and he had no idea which way we should actually go. My stepmother approached a group of college aged students and asked them directions and they told us to just follow them. So off we went though a dark park with a bunch of strangers. Sounds like a great idea right? lol

Obviously everything turned out alright otherwise I would not be writing this blog post but I did tell them that it is generally not a good idea to take off through a dark park in a foreign city with a bunch of strangers. They said I worry too much and that we were perfectly safe...

Our friendly tour guides led us back to Piazza del Popolo where they were getting on the metro. Back in familiar territory I felt much more comfortable.

Piazza del Popolo
We visited the twin churches before leaving the piazza. Maria was convinced a gypsy was stalking us and trying to pick pocket us. She thought this because there was a somewhat questionable looking person that had entered the church after us. However, this person was nowhere near us and sat down in a pew. Pretty sure they are not after us Maria... I thought this was funny because she was so nonchalant about traipsing through the park earlier but now she is afraid of pick-pocket gypsies...


We stopped by the Spanish Steps and then visited a church where a choir was practicing for their Palm Sunday service.




After the Spanish steps we went back to the Pantheon so I could get some nighttime photos of the area.









We then decided to have dinner in a cute little restaurant, Taverna Antonina, on a side street near The Pantheon. I had the most delicious Gnocchi all Sorrentina. I still dream of that dish. Originally we were going to sit out on their patio but so many people were smoking so we asked to move inside where it was smoke free.



After dinner it was time to trek back to the hotel. We would be checking out in the morning and catching a train to Milan.

Some photographs from our stroll back to the hotel.

Piazza del Quirinale

Quirinal Palace


Medusa doorknocker



No comments:

Post a Comment