Monday, August 06, 2018

Italy 2015 - Rome - Day Two - Palazzo Massimo

Rome Day Two - Palazzo Massimo

On our second day in Rome we started our day off by walking a block or two to the east where we got to see some of the old city walls. I take much of my enjoyment when travelling from just walking around a city and taking in the sights. For instance, I loved that the sewer grate was stamped with SPQR.









We also stopped into the Termini train station to buy all of our train tickets for the rest of our trip. I was more than comfortable using the self-serve machines but Dad and Maria wanted to go to an actual ticket agent so that is what we did although it took much longer as we had to wait in line. 

Train tickets safely stowed away we went to our first museum of the day - Palazzo Massimo alle Terme. This museum is located close to the Termini train station in Piazza della Repubblica. This museum houses classical sculpture, frescos and mosaics and a collection of ancient coins. 

We received a discounted entry with our Roma Pass. Here is a small selection of photos from the sculpture collection. 






Funny and horrifying story about the above sarcophagus. We were in the room displaying this sarcophagus and nobody else was around. There was also no glass or rope to keep people away from it. My dad had gone up close to it to look at the detail and then he turned around to discuss something with me. He was tired and not thinking or paying attention he leaned his elbow on the ancient sarcophagus!!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I quickly scolded him and he jumped back not realizing what he had done. He was really lucky there was no security in the room. We would have been given the boot for sure. To this day I still laugh at him for this. 






The sculpture is all so impressive. The details on the sarcophagi are amazing and I can only imagine how long they took to create.

The mosaics and frescos were equally as amazing. I can only imagine living in a home with such detailed decorations on my floors and walls.





The two photos below are my favourite fresco that we saw and they are from the Villa Livia - wife of Augustus.




While touring this museum I saw somebody I had seen multiple times the day before; how funny to keep seeing the same person in such a large city especially as the Palazzo Massimo is not a museum that makes it onto most tourists must-see list. 

After the Palazzo Massimo we hit the streets and Dad and Maria learned to entrust me with the navigation. 



Piazza della Repubblica

Piazza della Repubblica

No comments:

Post a Comment