Friday, June 07, 2013

Banff: Parker Ridge and the Saskatchewan Glacier

It was another very early morning. We were leaving Jasper and making our way to Banff. We had done most of the necessary packing the night before so it was just a matter of hitching the trailer to the car. Luckily this went smoothly unlike when we unhitched it a few days beforehand!

The early start was necessary as we were going to be hiking Parker Ridge that morning and the light is best for optimal glacier viewing in the morning. The trail was just about two hours south on the Icefields Parkway, very close to the Wilcox Pass trail that Dad and I had hiked the day before.

We had red skies that morning, what would that portend? 


It was an uneventful drive down the parkway and we made good time and got to the trail before any other hikers. It took a little time to get ready in the parking lot as we would all be doing this hike so we had to leash the dogs and fit Tilly with her hiking pack (carries the dog food and water; when people ask about the pack Dad likes to say they are carrying our beer, don't ask).  I think the dogs were excited to be going on the hike, they had spent the past few days hanging out at the campground with the stepmother, not very exciting.

There was this sign at the start of the trail, beware! Luckily we did not come across any unexploded devices on our hike!

This trail is not too difficult, there is even a bench to take a rest on halfway up! You will see several pictures of the same thing as the light and weather kept changing while we were hiking which of course changes how everything looks. Typical mountain weather, completely unpredictable.
Marcus ready for the hike




Tilly and her hiking pack


Marcus wants to know why we stopped to sit on the bench





I spotted some marmots on the climb up, luckily the dogs did not or they would have been pulling us all over the place to try and get to them.

Once we reached the top the path flattens out and you walk across a large meadow until the  Saskatchewan Glacier comes into view. The trail then follows along the ridge for more views of the glacier and the valley.

Saskatchewan Glacier


 Maria was too scared to walk along the path on the ridge so she found a spot to sit and wait with Tilly while Dad, Marcus and I continued to explore. Tilly was rather distressed seeing us walking away and we could hear her whining despite the fact that we were never out of sight.





There was a pretty waterfall on the other side of the valley.

I loved how this sunbeam seemed to shine down directly on the small pond/lake in the valley.

Dad had me pose for a picture. I felt as though I was very close to the edge and was very nervous although when I look at the picture I wasn't that close to the edge at all. Hahaha






After Dad and I got our fill of picture taking we went back and rejoined the stepmother. As we started back Dad voiced his interest in exploring an offshoot of the trail the goes further up the mountain. Maria and I weren't interested so we waited while he went up the trail.While Dad was gone it started to get colder and colder and we could see a bank of rain clouds coming our way. I thought for sure we were going to get drenched. In preparation we put on our rain gear. My rain coat is a bright pink. The only other hiker out on the ridge with us was a photographer and he asked to take my picture with the dogs as he said the colour of my coat, combined with the two dogs and the background of the mountains in the rain was perfect. He then gave me his card so I could get the picture. I did get it eventually but I won't post it since it is not my photo.

The picture below is one that Dad took while up on the trail. You can't really tell but there are some specks that are the stepmother and myself while we wait. What you can see is the rain heading straight for us.


Luckily Dad rejoined us in good time and we were able to barely escape the deluge.

Overall this was a good hike and not too long. Dad says the glacier would have been more spectacular if we had been there on a sunny day. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment